My Close Friend, Disappointment

Keeping one's expectations in check is the key to a happy life, I believe.

I failed to do that recently.

Failed in a big way.

So much so, I didn't even see it coming.

I was super excited for my date night.

I didn't think my expectations were out of whack - I didn't care where we ate, what we did (outside of the hotel room) or even where we stayed, so long as it was clean... and it was. The room was the nicest part of the whole experience.

He tried... my hubs did...


This was waiting for me when I landed in our room. It was quite a surprise. Some pretty nifty equipment came in this bad boy... I recommend taking the chance. Certainly well worth the $60 he paid for it. I'd say there was more like $150 worth of stuff in it.

...stuff I'm still yet to try.

We didn't leave the house early enough. To be clear, I was ready - hubs just allowed too much time for my hair appointment, and the ETA of my mother was up in the air - which wouldn't have delayed us, except that when the girls ate depended on her arrival.

So, we were quite late hitting the hotel... and I was rather hungry. We stayed there and had a couple of drinks, then I opened my 'surprise' and, with the idea of using some pretty interesting gadgets in a short while, we set out via taxi to our eating establishment. 

We picked the wrong place to go. We thought there were pool tables at that particular establishment... there were not.

The place was a bit of a dive, and the food was a bucket of grease... must remember to thank the person that suggested it to me with a shoe to the groin... suffice it to say, we were underwhelmed.

We then cabbed back to our love nest... with Christopher Lloyd, circa Back to the Future, at the wheel... with many MANY hard drug years under his belt. This guy was a trip all by himself. We got into the cab to the blasting of Heart's "Barracuda". Inexplicably, the music promptly changed to Neil Diamond... I can't help but take slight umbrage to that... what the Hell was that all about, anyway... are we that old?

Sadly, I think we may be.

Then we were back at the hotel... with bellies full of grossosity and our previous buzz dead in the water. We attempted to rekindle the glow from earlier in the evening, but truly could not cajole the dying ember back into a fire.

Our freaky sexy time was okay... I mean it did the trick, but my hubby promptly fell asleep after... no second helpings for Dani. I will note, I woke up the next morning with a full face of make up - lipstick and all ... entirely unharmed.

That didn't do much to dispel the disappointment that was already well rooted in my tummy... along with the remnants of the 'grease à là crap' we had consumed the night before. 

I tried very hard to be 'up' and 'bubbly' while we ate breakfast and then set out for a quick shopping trip... though that didn't produce any great results, either. 

Once back at home, my Mom hung around for a while and then Hubs went to run an errand he had forgotten about. I had a nice long bath and managed to let go the 'bummer attitude' I had going on. I made us some dinner and we proceeded to have a nice fire and enjoy our family for the evening.

...people wonder why I never want to go out. 
This is why. 
Without fail, I am left wanting.

There was a small fortune wasted on our evening, and we barely even 'connected' as a couple.

I keep trying to focus on the positives of the evening, but there are few. I guess we'll have to get much better at this if we want to keep the spark alive.

Just leaves me feeling sad... and disappointed and not very interesting all the way around.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From One Mother, to Another

WIMTS

This is dedicated to the one(s) I love .... (gotta sing it)