Negative Nelly

You know who I mean, right?
That person that sees nothing but negatives... no matter the topic.

You: "Nice day out there!"
NN: "It's too hot."
You: "Great job on that presentation."
NN: "John's just gonna tear it apart now anyway."
You: "You look really nice today."
NN: "Ugh! I'm a Troll!"

...I could go on, but you're smellin' what I'm steppin' in over here, right?

They can be exhausting.

I currently work with a Negative Nelly, I also live with one full time and one part time Negative Nelly.

I'm exhausted.

I know what it's like, I am often a Negative Nelly, but I am incredibly cognizant of that behavior now. I'm a constant work in progress, but at least I'm doing something. Life can make you negative, if you let it. Sometimes it feels like I bullshit myself more than anyone else I know, just to land on the positive. Some days, negativity wins.

But for the love of all that is good and holy, these people around me need to cheer the fuck up!

My kid is the worst!
For starters, she's a bourgeoning hypochondriac. Everything hurts, she's sick, her braces are squeezing her brains out... this kid complains continually. She knows everything, and is as negative a Nelly as there ever was. 

Seriously, like my husband and I sat and listened to her complaining for two solid nights, sitting in front of the fireplace. It's starting to even effect our sex life.

Not that I have any reason to worry about it long term. We have always had a great sex life... but this weekend was tough. Of course the fact that I am doing battle with a headache I've named Mephistopheles didn't help. I have been in varying, but constant pain for two full weeks as of tomorrow. That didn't do a great deal to encourage sexy-yummy time... I mean we managed, but it was work. 

At work, my boss has been a Negative Nelly, too. It's making me crazy. I know that people don't give her the credit she deserves a lot of the time, but it really isn't as bad as she makes it out to be. We are coming up on the biggest event of our year, and you'd think we were holding it in a working barn, the way she talks about the hotel. That we are working for uncivilized Neanderthals that aren't capable of knowing what they even like... though there are days that a case could be made for that idea. And that we are serving them refried gruel by the way she talks about 'hotel food'. 

It's driving me crazy.
Everything is an issue because "So and so will complain if the name-tags aren't perfect... if there isn't steak... if there is dancing... if there isn't music... it goes on and on... for days.

It's making me negative...
I have no reason to be negative...
No reason to be unhappy...
No outside stressor that's haunting my sleep...

Yet I am borderline miserable at present.

The headache doesn't help.

My youngest child doesn't help.

My boss doesn't help.

Still… I don't want to be soaking in all this negativity. I want to be excited about the event. I'd rather be excited now and disappointed later, than so entirely certain it's going to suck now, and be right later. 

Seriously.

It's Sunday afternoon... late afternoon... and there is corn chowder on the stove, a chunk of ham in the fridge and rising bread-dough for buns soon going into the oven. We had sticky meatballs for supper last night, and I am drinking rum as I sit here and type this inane post. Ask me if I'm eating my feelings or anesthetizing my life.

Gah!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From One Mother, to Another

WIMTS

This is dedicated to the one(s) I love .... (gotta sing it)