Damn That Groundhog

I was watching the tele last night, and a news break for one of the US stations came on blaring the question: Could the groundhog have been wrong?

I'll give you a moment to process this question ... *hums Jeopardy theme*

Really, US News show? Do you think? Should we now spend a gazillion dollars on an inquiry into the culpability of large rodents everywhere and their ability to predict the likelihood of an early Spring?

I think Groundhog Day is a ridiculous tradition anyway ... I mean, wouldn't it make more sense to bury a bunch of weather people in a burrow/den under the snow for a number of weeks and then pull them out into a  freezing February 2nd morning and see if they can see their own shadows ... wouldn't that have a higher entertainment value? I'd pay to see that.

Don't misunderstand my level of "blond" this morning ... I don't really think anyone (over the age of say, twelve) buys into this tradition, or the highly scientific method of calculating Spring's arrival... but when I heard that last night, I couldn't help but jump on it like I was a hungry puma and it was a severely wounded gazelle.

Having said all of the above, I know I am awaiting Spring's arrival with baited breath ... well, actually it is more like decaffeinated coffee breath just the noo ... but, you know... and any indication, no matter how ridiculous is a bright spot in my world.

Just this past weekend, I was helping Hubs shovel snow in the driveway (and by "helping" I mean standing in my sessy winter boots, holding a shovel while directing him where to put the snow) and I noticed a small section of brown grass-like area by the concrete wall under our deck. In this tiny alcove in the snow, there were three crocuses huddled together ... within the protection of a three foot bank of snow. It lifted my spirits so, that I just had to share with all you bleeps.

So, I am thinking, if we all get together and wish it real hard ... maybe that stupid rodent can be proved right ... and we'll get our early Spring anyway.








Comments

Eyvi Sprite said…
*wishes real hard*

It ain't workin' Dani. It's currently snowing outside. And my driveway is an ice rink tilted at a 45 degree angle for extra slippery fun. And I haven't been warm since Saturday. Think we need a few more wishers?
Amethyst Anne said…
*wishes really really hard*
We are currently cloaked with the balmy weather of -44 with wind chill. I want to be those crocuses cloaked in the snow. Or propose hibernation for all Canadians during the winter.
*keeps wishing*
What if we offer a sacrifice or something?
The Real Me said…
I think I know the problem... my wishes are dribbling with profanity...maybe Mother Nature is Pissed at me for the mean things I say about her when I wake up to -40 and snowing...
It snowed here yesterday. 'Nuf said :)

Popular posts from this blog

From One Mother, to Another

This is dedicated to the one(s) I love .... (gotta sing it)

WIMTS